Roxgold is committed to conducting its mineral exploration and development activities in a manner consistent with internationally recognized guidelines and principles for Sustainable Development and Corporate Social Responsibility. Community engagement and environmental stewardship are important cornerstones of this commitment, along with a duty to promote a safe and healthy working environment.
Roxgold Health, Safety, Environment and Community Policy (click here)
Our company's success is directly linked to our capacity to build and maintain constructive relationships with our host communities. We aim to engage our neighbours with a cognizant, forthcoming and participative approach.
An important objective of Roxgold's Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development Strategy is to make a positive impact on our host communities with this approach. We are dedicated to working in partnership to ensure mutually beneficial project growth that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. Through participative stakeholder engagement and the use of established key performance indicators, the company aims to develop, assess and adapt programs and policies suited to local needs and interests.
Some of our recent Community Engagement initiatives include:
- Funding a two-year apprenticeship program to provide 20 youth participants from local villages with certifications in fabricating, rigging, welding and mechanical fitting;
- Training of 50 locally recruited candidates as security agents for the project;
- Organizing a professional development event for 113 teachers from the primary schools in the Bagassi commune, thereby enhancing educators' capacities to teach mathematics at all primary levels;
- Donating furniture to the three primary schools of Bagassi, in support of local education;
- Funding annual community reforestation campaigns with the Bagassi women's and youth groups, which has resulted in the planting of over 7000 trees to date in and around the town of Bagassi;
- Co-financing a Multi-Functional Platform project with OCADES and the Burkina Faso government, for the benefit of a local women's group;
- Engaging a local metalworker to produce road signage for the town of Bagassi to promote road safety, installed in collaboration with Town Hall;
- Financial support for various cultural festivals and awareness-raising events, organized by the youth and student associations of Bagassi and Koussaro;
- Sponsoring a variety of football tournaments and other sports activities in the communities of Boromo and Bagassi;
- Enhancing quality of communal sports equipment, including provision of footballs, jerseys and goal posts, in collaboration with our exploration contractors;
- A primary school scholarship program since October 2013, benefiting 27 vulnerable and underprivileged local youth annually;
We are currently undertaking extensive stakeholder consultations, with the goal of identifying opportunities to develop capacity-building ventures and defining the structure of Roxgold's future Community Engagement program.
Roxgold retained Bureau d'Etudes des Géosciences, des Energies et de Environnement (BEGE), of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso to conduct an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the Yaramoko Gold Project, as an integral part of the permitting process in Burkina Faso. BEGE has extensive experience in the Burkina Faso mining sector, and their expertise will aid the Company in addressing their commitment to Sustainable Development and Corporate Social Responsibility. A summary of the approved ESIA can be found here
IFC Environmental and Social Review
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused exclusively on the private sector, using its capital, expertise, and influence to help eliminate extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. The IFC conducted an environmental and social review of the Yaramoko development project, completed in June 2015.
The results of this review are available for public access on the IFC website:
Environmental and Social review summary (ESRS)
and Summary of investment information